Friday, March 24, 2017

Quilting





Mom made this quilt for one of the nurses that worked with her after her diagnosis. 
When I graduated high school and went to college, I came home that first Christmas and discovered my old room off the laundry room had been transformed into Mom's Sewing Room. She had waited most of her married life for a sewing room. Prior to my room being requisitioned, she would stay up nights sewing in her and dad's room, something she said she often felt bad about because it would keep Dad up. But I never heard him complain. :)

When Mom was quilting, whether it was in her and Dad's room, or after the move to my old room, we kids would often come and sit either on her bed or on the floor in the sewing room. We would tell her about our day, our problems, the things that we were excited about, ask for her advice, or just sit and bask in her love. I know she thought of that room as her sanctuary but she never minded invasions. She even kept a jar of butterscotch candies to tempt the grandkids!

My request to all of you is that if you are lucky enough to have one of her quilts, dolls, cards, etc., if you would please email me (mcclurea6@gmail.com) a picture of it with a short description of when you received it and anything special about it. I will add them to this blog post. Dad has said how much he would like to have some record of all her projects and how cool would it be to see all of the stories attached to these works of art! Thank you and love to you all!


Can anyone tell me where this was taken? Was it one of her quilts she entered in the county fair competition?

No comments:

Post a Comment